The Three Heart Mantras are used in many different meditations in the Bön tradition, and play a major role in the ngrondro practices. They are said to be the essence of enlightenment in sound and energy, and as we sing or chant the mantras our awareness is transformed to be in union with the Buddhas. They are used for purification, protection, and as primary practices toward self realization.
It is said that creating these mantras in any form brings merit and purification, so they are commonly found carved into stones, printed on prayer flags where they spread their benefits through the winds, and even drawn with gold ink and kept on shrines as an object of reverence and meditation. Their blessings are said to be endless. Also within this course Tenzin Rinpoche explains the essence of the Guru Yoga, Refuge and Bodhicitta practices, making this an excellent introduction to the tradition.
This course features
- Teaching Videos – receive original teachings by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche created especially for this course
- Guided Meditation Videos – be led by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche in your own home
- Meditation Assignments– experience improvement in your daily life through formal and informal practices designed for each part of the course
- Online Discussions – contribute to a global discussion with your classmates facilitated by John Jackson, the director of the Chamma Ling Colorado retreat center.
Students work with the online materials according to their own schedules. However, as a general guideline we suggest that students make available – 1 to 1.5 hours each week to enjoy the teaching and guided practice videos, 30 – 90 minutes each morning during the course to experience the formal meditation practices (don’t worry if you miss a practice but try not to); and between 1 to 2 hours per week for participating in online discussions.
The course is structured in five parts with a week devoted to each section. Learners can study at their own pace, and have access to all materials as they are released, so it is easy to review earlier sections. Here are the topics for each week:
1. Introduction to the 3 Heart Mantras – This section provides an excellent foundation for your meditation practice, with a thorough overview of the use of mantras, and an introductory meditation practice. Familiarize yourself with the online course format, meet your classmates from around the world.
2. Refuge, Bodhicitta and Guru Yoga – Rinpoche gives a thorough explanation of these three practices, that are integral to most meditations in the tradition, including the 3 Heart Mantras. He also explains the use of the Ah Om Hung meditation.
3. OM MA TRI MU YE SA LE DU – mantra explanation and meditation
4. A KAR A ME TU TI SU NAG PO SHI SHI MAL MAL SO HA – mantra explanation and meditation
5. A OM HUNG AH A KAR SA LE OD A YANG OM DU – mantra explanation and meditation
The course videos were produced in High Definition, for the highest quality playback on fast network connections. All videos in the course scale back for slower broadband connections, and also will play on iPads and other mobile devices. We think you will find the course stimulating, educational, and a great support to transforming how you work with emotions within your life.
Course Dates: August 17 – September 22, 2018
Cost: New Lower Price – $195 for the five week course. Registration is now open. Cancellation fee: $25 during the first week of the course.